Saturday, November 16, 2013

Never a Dull Moment

     Does it ever stop…?

     Sometimes I wish for a boring week, just an uneventful week where nothing happens. Where you look for things to do because all the chores are done and everything is taken care of.

     Thursday my boy came up from his room and said he had a bump on his forehead. Indeed he did. I send him to take a shower and go to bed, we would keep an eye on it and see how it would go the next day.
The next day he woke up with red spots, hives all over his body , swollen ears and a swollen forehead. Okay, let’s go see the doctor. On our way to my vehicle I found my car doors locked with the keys inside. Spare keys were in the car as well and the other set in my husband’s.  So I phoned my husband and he came to the rescue. When I started my car, a light on my dashboard told me one of my tires was low…We drove to town very slowly. It had started snowing in the mean time as well.
Dropped of my girl at school and went to the ER with my son. He was seen fairly soon. Yes indeed; an allergic reaction. Somewhat relieved (because the rash turned out not to be measles what I was scared of at first) we were send off with some anti histamine. My son wanted to go back to school so I dropped off my car at the tire specialist and picked up my husband’s vehicle. Drove my son to school and off to work I went as well.

some of the hives that covered his entire body
     Coming home I didn’t really see an improvement, but hey, you got to give the medicine some time to kick in. My boy ate a bit, had a shower and went to bed at 7…that is not like him.

     When he woke up today his hands were swollen , his eyes were swollen, his lip was big, his hives were more red and they had spread as well….seemed to me the antihistamine was not working. So back to the doctor we went. Luckily it was Saturday…unfortunately it had snowed about a foot of snow over night. My husband plowed the yard first end then off to the ER it was again.

     Nurses were pretty “impressed” because the reaction was pretty severe. After discussing his medical history and questioning if he had any allergies (well duh…yes he does,  just not sure what!) he was given a room. A lady came to take some blood. She didn't want to use alcohol swabs to clean his arm because she thought the hives looked too painful. So she cleaned it with soap. Also no band aide because it would be painful to take off. Finally the doc came and saw it was not all that good. A shot with something strong (forgot the name!) and a humongous dose of prednisone was given. We were then send home with more prednisone and an epi pen.
crazy swelling in his hands. On the plus side: you can't see his swollen joints!

     Scary stuff….luckily we saw improvement of his hives within a couple of hours. The redness went and he felt a lot better too. Now we wait for the swelling to go down. Phew…another episode of weirdness and more grey hair survived.

     Now we have to find out what caused this reaction…I don’t really want to go through this again and I’m pretty sure my son was not a big fan either. My thought about what may have caused it…? Last week on Friday he had a flu shot and then on Saturday he had his Humira injection…a delayed allergic reaction perhaps? I don’t know but I would sure like to find out. I was told it is going to be tricky to find out what and how because of all the medication he is on. We shall wait patiently.

it's a good thing the snow can be so pretty...

Here’s to hoping we will have a boring week soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment